Monday, June 19, 2017

Blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............


This has been a very busy, active week.  We  had heard that the city of Ft Lauderdale painted a Rainbow intersection downtown on Las Olas Blvd, but we just saw it for the first time walking to the Equality Rally. Rather large and impressive. Las Olas Blvd is the fashionable and artsy part of downtown. It dead ends at the beach. This intersection is at the other end which is the financial district.


The Equality Rally was held in a park. I wrote somewhere that I met my first Gender Fluid person. They represented and spoke for the LGBT homeless youth. There are many homeless kids who sleep under the bridges and prostitute themselves to survive. A safe place has been made available to get as many kids off the street and help them finish basic education. Can anyone imagine what kind of parents these kids had to kick them out?

That was Sunday. Monday night was the first year memorial of the Pulse massacre.  There was a solemn event at the Pride Center (Equality Park) which included talks from Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, and Muslim clergy. The Pride Center unveiled the American flag which flew over the state capital the day of the shooting. It was gifted from the state. ( I'll get a photo later)


When I was in my twenties, I can remember my great grandmother, age 94, saying she was alive from  the very first plane flight, all the way to seeing a  man land on the moon. When I came out in the late 1960's, gays were still getting shock treatments in mental hospitals. Today, we have same sex marriage. hmmm........have I experienced the same  type of span?
Thursday morning as I was going through of my routine of Google News, email,  reading the four or so  blogs I follow while listening and watching the morning news on the kitchen TV, the following Miami NBC news segment came on. I almost shit myself!



The Stonewall  Parade was yesterday. At least 40,000 people. It was the best ever. There must have been 60 people from Jet Blue that marched. The first time  Jet Blue participated and had a float. The Grand Marshall was Sharon Gless. She didn't just sit in a car and wave , she got out and was working the crowd on both sides of the street for selfies and hugs. It was hotter than hell too. She was the deal!
This week I'll rest up. I danced and shook my tail feather way too long into the night.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a street mural!!!! Gorgeous. Loved the news clip. I can see how one might shit themselves if you weren't expecting that. Very cool. The queen did a lovely job too, and great selections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello(again).Even though we live in a gay city, one of the largest anti gay groups(listed on the Southern Poverty Law Center)is a mile or so up the road. And Miami is loaded with Marco Rubio style Cuban Catholics. Very anti abortion, anti gay.

      Delete
  2. my spouse saw this on his newsfeed and showed it to me - FABULOUS!

    what a great turnout for the parade; loved the video; screw the anti-gay h8ers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was he surprised too? Lets keep positive thoughts for Jon Ossoff tomorrow. Karen Handel needs to be banished back to the cave from where she came.

      Delete